Dear Ryder: We Don't Really Miss You Either......
Dearest kids at camp:
Thank you for your letters. I know your days at camp it Black Mountain are busy and it means a lot that you took the time to write mom and dad a letter, the old-fashioned way. There seems to be a common question in your letters. "Mom and dad, what on earth are you doing at home while we are away at camp?" Well, I could write a short story in response but I can picture you about to go learn more about blacksmithing or get your hands on that pottery wheel so I won't keep you long. In order to stay brief, I made a top 10 list of what happens at home when all four of you are at camp.
TOP 10 BEST THINGS ABOUT SENDING ALL OUR KIDS TO CAMP FOR 2 WEEKS:
1. Mom and dad get to eat ice cream for dinner every night. We don't have to set the example of moderation either because you aren't here. Yes, it's a pile of rich chocolate ice cream drowning in hot fudge and plenty of whip cream to mellow out the chocolate.
2. We get to stay up past 9 PM watching Wimbledon and actually get to finish the match because we are guaranteed 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep. No pitter patter footsteps approaching our room at 2AM announcing you are done sleeping.
3. We get to watch an R-rated movie without having to mute the sound or cover your ears in fear of you hearing or seeing something that could potentially undo all of our parenting.
4. We don't have to have any food in the house if we would rather go surf than go grocery shopping. Coffee, half and half, eggs, cheese, avocados and wine is all we need.
5. If mom and dad feel like having an argument we are free to argue. You may not know this yet, but putting an argument on hold, sometimes for 8 hours until you kids are in bed, takes a lot of restraint.
6. I don't have to carry my cell phone with me everywhere because I won't be getting a phone call to say: "mom, why did you pack two left tennis shoes in my after-school bag?"
7. It feels really good to come home from a dinner and not have to hand over an additional $40 for the babysitter.
8. Daddy gets to do one thing at a time and his mood has been great because of it. Multi-tasking, even when it's a skill that comes easy, is seriously exhausting.
9. We get to walk around naked in our house if we want to. No-one will be scarred for life because he or she saw your parents in their birthday suit.
10. Taking care of you is the best job we have ever had but it's the hardest job we have ever had. We would not give it up for any amount of money but it sure is nice to have a vacation from parenting for the first time in 13 years.
All this being said, mom and dad devote an hour every night looking for glimpses of you on the camp photos. Sometimes it is like playing Finding Waldo and can lead to a serious headache but it's so worth it to see those smiles. Mom and dad are enjoying spending time together but you should know that almost every conversation still touches on how much we love you and how thankful we are to have the privilege of parenting you. Thank you Camp Rockmont and Camp Merri-Mac for providing a beautiful, safe environment for kids to grow in.